The Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship Programme was launched in 2013 by the Hungarian Government. The main goal of the program regarding the education policy is to support the internationalization of Hungarian higher education and its constant development, to strengthen the international relations of the Hungarian academic and research community, to enhance the cultural diversity of higher education institutions, and to promote the good reputation and competitiveness of Hungarian higher education throughout the world.
Course level: Bachelor’s, Master’s, Doctoral, and non-degree programs
Fields of study: Only those programs that are supported by the cooperation agreement between Hungary and your country/region. You will find all the information about the available study types and study fields here.
Institution and country: Eligible host institutions in Hungary
Sponsor: Hungarian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade
- Tuition-free education – exemption from the payment of tuition fee
- Monthly stipend – non-degree, bachelor’s, master’s and one-tier master’s level: monthly amount of HUF 43,700 (cca EUR 120) contribution to the living expenses in Hungary, for 12 months a year, until the completion of studies; doctoral level: according to the current Hungarian legislation, the monthly amount of scholarship is HUF 140,000 (cca EUR 390 for the first phase of education (4 semesters) and HUF 180,000 (cca EUR 500) for the second phase (4 semesters) – for 12 months a year, until completion of studies.
- Accommodation contribution – free dormitory place or a contribution of HUF 40,000/month to accommodation costs for the whole duration of the scholarship period (Please note that if the student does not live in the dormitory, the HUF 40,000/month is a contribution to that rental costs, and in bigger cities – especially in the capital city – this contribution would not cover the full amount of rental costs.)
- Medical insurance – health care services according to the relevant Hungarian legislation (Act LXXX of 1997, national health insurance card) and supplementary medical insurance for up to HUF 65 000 (cca. 180 EUR) a year/person
Please bear in mind that these provisions are only a contribution to the living expenses of the Scholarship Holders.
It means that it does not fully cover all the costs of living and the students need to add their own financial resources in order to cover all living expenses in Hungary. All applicants are highly advised to check the expected living expenses both in Hungary and in the city that they wish to live in before applying; please do check the Cost of Living Calculator by clicking here:
Eligibility criteria for the Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship:
- Nationality. Arab Republic of Egypt, Argentine Republic, Belize, Bosnia and Herzegovina, Democratic Republic of São Tomé and Príncipe, Federal Democratic Republic of Ethiopia, Federal Republic of Nigeria, Federative Republic of Brazil, Georgia, Islamic Republic of Iran, Islamic Republic of Pakistan, Japan, Kingdom of Cambodia, Kingdom of Morocco, Kingdom of Thailand, Kurdistan Regional Government/Iraq, Kyrgyz Republic, Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Lebanese Republic, Malaysia, Mongolia, Montenegro, Oriental Republic of the Uruguay, Pacific Alliance (member states: Chile, Colombia, Mexico and Peru), State of Palestine, Panama, People’s Democratic Republic of Algeria, People’s Republic of Bangladesh, People’s Republic of China (including the Hudec scholarships), Republic of Albania, Republic of Angola, Republic of Azerbaijan, Republic of Belarus, Republic of Cabo Verde, Republic of Chile, Republic of Colombia, Republic of Costa Rica, Republic of Ecuador, Republic of Ghana, Republic of India, Republic of Indonesia, Republic of Iraq, Republic of Kazakhstan, Republic of Kenya, Republic of Korea, Republic of Kosovo, Republic of Liberia, Republic of Maldives, Republic of Mali, Republic of Moldova, Republic of Namibia, Republic of North-Macedonia, Republic of Paraguay, Republic of Rwanda, Republic of Serbia, Republic of Seychelles, Republic of Sierra Leone, Republic of Singapore, Republic of South Africa, Republic of the Marshall Islands, Republic of the Philippines, Republic of the Union of Myanmar, Republic of Tajikistan, Republic of Turkey, Republic of Uganda, Republic of Uzbekistan, Republic of Yemen, Russian Federation, Saint Lucia, Socialist Republic of Vietnam, State of Eritrea, State of Israel, State of Kuwait, Sultanate of Oman, Syrian Arab Republic, Taiwan, The Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan, Tunisian Republic, Turkmenistan, Ukraine, United Mexican States, United Republic of Tanzania.
- Age. Must be 18 years old and above.
- Must not have been a former Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship recipient.
- Those applicants who are registered self-financed / fee-paying students of a Hungarian higher education institution at the time of the application deadline AND who are now applying for the same study level are only eligible to apply for the Stipendium Hungaricum program if they are recommended by their Hungarian host universities where they are studying at the time of application, AND if their cumulative, corrected sum average (“összesített korrigált kreditindex”) is higher than the students’ average performance in the particular study program (“szakátlag”).
Application deadline: 15 January 2022, 23:59 (Central European Time)
How to apply for the Stipendium Hungaricum Scholarship:
All applications are made online thru apply.stipendiumhungaricum.hu. All of the following documents are compulsory and need to be submitted to the online application surface by all applicants before the deadline:
- A recent photo
- Motivation letter
- Proof of language proficiency and their translations in the language of the selected study program or in Hungarian
- School certificates and their translations in the language of the selected study program or in Hungarian
- Transcript of Records and its translations in the language of the selected study program or in Hungarian
- Medical certificate
- Copy of Identification Document or passport
- Acceptance of Statement for Application in the online system
Further details can be found on the 2022-2023 Call for Applications.
Other useful links: