Every year, 25 Dutch and 25 Chinese students are offered a scholarship by the ministries of education of the People’s Republic of China and the Netherlands under the Sino-Dutch Scholarship program.
The Sino-Dutch scholarship program focuses on excellent Chinese 3rd-year bachelor, master, or PhD students who want to study or do research in the Netherlands for at least 1 academic year. It consists of a contribution towards the total costs of a study or research in the Netherlands.
Course level: Third-year bachelor, master, or PhD students who want to study or do research in the Netherlands for at least one academic year
Fields of study: Any English-taught bachelor or master’s degree or PhD programs offered by Dutch educational institutions
Institution and country: Any Dutch higher education institution
Sponsor: Ministries of education of the People’s Republic of China and the Netherlands
Scholarship inclusions: A contribution of € 16,113 per year towards the total costs of a study or research in the Netherlands
Eligibility criteria for the Sino-Dutch Scholarship:
- Age. You are between 18 and 35 years old at the start of the study in the Netherlands (BA/MA candidates); the age limit for PhD candidates and visiting scholars is 50.
- Nationality. You have Chinese nationality and you are a permanent resident of China (living/working/studying in China) at the time of scholarship application.
- You are (conditionally) admitted to the program for which you request the scholarship (MA/BA students).
- You are invited to do research or a complete PhD trajectory (PhD students/visiting scholars).
- Your BA/MA program/research starts in the academic year 2022-2023, but not later than 1 January 2023.
- The study/research for which you request the scholarship is a BA program (final 2 years), an MA program, a PhD trajectory (degree), or PhD level (visiting scholar).
- The BA/MA program is registered in CROHO (BA/MA candidates).
- The Dutch institution has signed the Code of Conduct.
- The BA/MA program or PhD trajectory is at least one (academic) year (12 months) and subsequent (if applicable) years must consist of whole years as well.
- The study program or research for which you would like to receive the scholarship has a maximum duration of 4 years.
- You are nominated by CSC for the Sino-Dutch scholarship.
Application deadline: 27 March 2022
How to apply for the Sino-Dutch Scholarship:
You have to submit your application both to the China(CSC) and to Nuffic. Please note there is little time to submit your CSC application. Instructions on how to apply at CSC can be found on
How to submit your Nuffic application:
- Apply at the Dutch institution for academic admission.
- Read the application instructions (128.8 kB) carefully.
- Collect all required documents and information.
- Apply online.
The selection procedure:
Candidates are preselected by CSC. Nuffic is responsible for the final selection of the candidates. Each year 25 scholarships are available. A number of these are reserved for scholarship holders whose scholarships will continue into the next academic year.
The applications of nominated candidates are assessed on the information provided in the application, such as Curriculum Vitae, obtained grades, and motivation. This assessment will result in a ranking of applicants. The candidates are then selected starting from the highest-ranking person until the maximum number of available scholarships is reached. Next, a number of reserve candidates will be selected.
After the selection:
Nuffic will inform all nominated candidates of the final selection in the form of a formal grant letter. The selected scholarship holders can then inform the Dutch institution they are selected and, if needed, ask for advice on practical matters such as visa application and housing.
The scholarship amount will be paid (if applicable per year) by Nuffic directly to the scholarship holders. It will be paid in 3 installments, spread over the year. Consult the scholarship conditions for more information.
Other useful links: