The OPEC Fund or OFID Scholarship Award supports outstanding young individuals from developing countries so that they are able to pursue graduate studies in a development-related field. Each year, OPEC Fund receives an average of 7,500 applications from aspiring academics from its beneficiary countries. After qualifying, many of the OPEC Fund’s student ambassadors have returned to their home countries to work in development-related fields.
Course level: Master’s
Fields of study: Master’s degree studies related to development-economics of development (poverty reduction, energy and sustainable development), environment (desertification), or other related science and technology fields
Institution and country: Any accredited university/college around the world
Sponsor: The OPEC Fund for International Development
Number of awards: Around 8-10 per year
- Tuition fees, including any supplementary fees
- One round-trip flight between your home country and the university
- Health insurance
- A relocation grant to help you cover additional costs of moving
- A monthly allowance for one year
Eligibility criteria for the OFID Scholarship Award:
- Nationality. Must be a national of a developing country, please refer to the list of eligible countries at the official website. Please note that nationals of OFID Member Countries (Algeria, Ecuador, Gabon, Indonesia, Iran, Iraq, Kuwait, Libya, Nigeria, Qatar, Saudi Arabia, United Arab Emirates, Venezuela) are ineligible to apply.
- Age. Must be between the ages of 23-32 at the time of submitting his/her application.
- Must have obtained or be on the verge of completing their undergraduate degree with a Baccalaureate from an accredited college/university, or its equivalent.
- Must have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher on a 4.0 rating system, or its equivalent.
- Must be matriculated at an accredited university for the upcoming academic year starting August/September, and must maintain full-time status for the duration of the Master’s Degree.
- Must select a subject of study that pertains to OFID’s core mission, such as economics of development (poverty reduction, energy and sustainable development), environment (desertification), or other related science and technology fields.
Application deadline: Mid-April every year
How to apply for the OFID Scholarship Award:
Make sure that you fulfill the OFID Scholarship Award eligibility criteria before you apply. To apply, you must register and fill out an application form and upload supporting documents online.
It is important to visit the official website (link found below) to access the online application portal and for detailed information on how to apply for this scholarship.
Other useful links: