The MEXT Teacher Training Students Scholarship Program is offered by the Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT) of Japan to international teachers who wish to conduct research on school education at designated Japanese universities as Teacher Training Students. Its aim is to foster human resources who will become bridges of friendship between the grantee’s country and Japan through study in Japan and who will contribute to the development of both countries and the wider world.
Course level: Short-term training
Fields of study: Educational administration (educational administration and finance, school management), educational methods (classroom teaching, learning system theory, curriculum, and educational assessment), specialized subject research (mathematics, physics, chemistry, and gymnastics), and observational tours and practice (class observations, participation in special educational activities, and tours of educational research facilities).
Scholarship period: The scholarship period is the necessary period for the completion of the accepting university’s training course, which should be between October 2021 (or the starting month of the course) and March 2023. The extension of the scholarship period is not permitted.
Institution and country: Participating universities in Japan
Sponsor: Ministry of Education, Culture, Sports, Science, and Technology (MEXT) of Japan
- Education fees (fees for the entrance examination, matriculation, and tuition)
- Monthly allowance: : 143,000 yen
- Supplemental regional allowance for those undertaking research in specially-designated regions: 2,000 or 3,000 yen per month
- Travel expenses to/from Japan
Eligibility criteria for the MEXT Teacher Training Students Scholarship Program:
- Nationality. Applicants must have the nationality of a country that has diplomatic relations with Japan. An applicant who has Japanese nationality at the time of application is not eligible. However, persons with dual nationality who hold Japanese nationality and whose place of residence at the time of application is outside of Japan are eligible to apply as long as they choose the nationality of the other country and renounce their Japanese nationality by the date of their arrival in Japan.
- Age. In principle, applicants must be 35 years old and below. Exceptions are limited to cases in which MEXT deems that the applicant could not apply within the eligible age limit due to the situation or circumstances of the applicant’s country (military service obligation, loss of educational opportunities due to disturbances of war, etc.).
- Academic and career background. Applicants must be graduates of universities or teacher training schools and have worked as teachers at primary/secondary educational institutions or teacher training schools (excluding universities) in their home countries for a total period of five years or more as of October 1, 2020.
- Return and resumption of teaching duties. Applicants must assure that they return to their home country by the end of the final month of the scholarship period and resume their work as a teacher at his/her primary/secondary educational institution or teacher training school. Applicants shall utilize the results of their research on school education in Japan.
- Mutual cooperation. MEXT Scholarship will be granted those who are willing to contribute to mutual understanding between Japan and their home country by participating in activities at schools and communities during their study in Japan while contributing to the internationalization of Japan. They shall also make efforts to promote relations between the home country and Japan by maintaining close relations with the university attended after graduation, cooperating with the conducting of surveys and questionnaires and cooperating with all relevant projects and events conducted by Japanese diplomatic missions after they return to their home countries.
Application deadline: Recruitment for those arriving in Japan next October is made between December of the previous year and the following February. The first screening is conducted between January and February by the Japanese embassies or consulates-general. As the application process and specific schedule differ according to the country of your nationality, inquire at the Japanese embassy or consulate general in your country for details.
How to apply for the MEXT Teacher Training Students Scholarship Program:
Applicants must submit the following documents to the Japanese diplomatic mission in the applicant’s country by the designated deadline:
- Application Form
- Placement Preference Application Form
- Certified grade transcript for each academic year from the last university/ teacher training school attended
- The diploma from the last university/ teacher training school attended
- Certificate of Employment
- Recommendation letter from the immediate supervisor at work
- Medical certificate
- Certificate of Japanese language ability
Other useful links: