The Japan Student Services Organization or JASSO offers scholarships for qualified international students who are accepted by a Japanese university, graduate school, junior college, college of technology (3rd grade or upper or professional training college hereinafter referred to as “Japanese school”) under a student exchange agreement or other student exchange arrangement on a short-term basis from 8 days to one year between Japanese school and their home higher educational institution outside Japan (hereinafter referred to as “home school”).
Course level: Exchange of undergraduate, graduate, junior college, college of technology, and special training school students
Fields of study: Any program being offered in the Japanese school
Scholarship period: The exchange program can range from 8 days to one year.
Institution and country: Any university, college, college of technology, or special training school in Japan
Sponsor: Japan Student Services Organization or JASSO
Number of awards: 5,000 students
Scholarship inclusions: The scholarship grants a stipend of 80,000 JPY per month.
Eligibility criteria for the JASSO Student Exchange Support Program:
Students must satisfy the following conditions. For further information and inquiry, students are advised to ask each home school.
- Students from all countries that have diplomatic relations with Japan. Students from Taiwan and Palestine are eligible.
- Students accepted by a Japanese school under a student exchange agreement or other student exchange arrangements with their home school.
- Students not having the financial means to study in Japan.
- Students eligible for ‘Student Visa.’ For study in Japan for 90 days or less, the Japanese school will arrange the status of residence.
- Students, upon the termination of the period of study in Japan, must complete their studies at their home school.
- Students demonstrating excellent academic and personal records at their home school.
- Students receiving more than 80,000 JPY in total from other scholarships for study in Japan are ineligible for this scholarship.
Application deadline and instructions:
Applications for the scholarship will be accepted only from the Japanese school. Upon screening the application documents submitted by Japanese school, JASSO will decide the programs to support and notify the school of the results.
The selection method of scholarship recipients is different from each school and each program. For further information and inquiry, students are advised to ask each home school.
Other useful links: