The Excellence Scholarship & Opportunity Programme (ESOP) supports students with a scholarship, mentorship, and a network of the ETH Foundation. The scholarship covers the full study and living costs during the Master’s degree course.
ETH Zurich or the Swiss Federal Institute of Technology is a public research university in the city of Zürich, Switzerland. Founded by the Swiss Federal Government in 1854 with the stated mission to educate engineers and scientists, the school focuses exclusively on science, technology, engineering, and mathematics.
Course level: Master’s
Fields of study: Eligible master’s degree programs offered at the University
Scholarship period: Three or four semesters, depending on the duration of the Master’s program
Institution and country: ETH Zurich, Switzerland
Sponsor: ETH Zurich
Number of awards: The number of annual scholarships depends on the availability of funds.
The Excellence Scholarship consists of a grant covering living and study expenses (CHF 12’000 per semester) as well as a tuition fee waiver. The scholarship starts with the Master’s degree program and is awarded for the regular duration of the Master’s program (three or four semesters).
Eligibility criteria for the Excellence Scholarship & Opportunity Programme:
- The scholarship programs are open to excellent students (local and international) wishing to pursue their Master’s degree at ETH Zurich
- Candidates must have a very good result in the Bachelor’s degree program (top 10% of Bachelor’s degree program = grade A)
Application deadline: 15 November to 15 December 2020
How to apply for the Excellence Scholarship & Opportunity Programme:
Applications are done online, together with the application for the master’s program. The application link will be made available on the scholarship website (see below) once the application period starts.
Interested applicants must prepare the following required documents:
- Application form (will be available for the next application period)
- ESOP letter of motivation (1-2 pages)
- Pre-proposal for your Master’s thesis (see guidelines on how to write a pre-proposal (PDF, 70 KB))
- Two reference letters from professors. Reference letters must be submitted with the Master application online. ETH students continuing a consecutive Master program add the reference letters in closed envelopes to their ESOP application.
All information provided in the application must be complete, correct, and handed in by the deadline. The pre-proposal for the Master’s thesis must be developed by yourself and use established scientific citation practice. If you are applying for more than one Master’s program, please submit a separate application form for each degree program.
The applications are evaluated by the Admissions Committees of the respective Master’s programs. The decisions are communicated approx. mid of March.
Other useful links: