The Engineering for Development or E4D Doctoral Scholarships at ETH Zurich promote doctoral research for the benefit of underprivileged people in low-income countries. It awards two doctoral scholarships per year and promotes innovative projects that are directly relevant for improving the livelihoods of underprivileged people in low-income countries.
Course level: Doctoral
Fields of study: Doctoral projects that are innovative and develops a method or product, which is directly relevant for improving the livelihoods of underprivileged people in low-income countries
Institution and country: ETH Zurich, Switzerland
Sponsor: Sawiris Foundation for Social Development and Swiss Agency for Development and Cooperation
The grant sum is 175’000 CHF to cover the salary costs of doctoral students for three years. The scholarship period can be extended to a no-cost extension. Out of the scholarship grant, CHF 166’800 is reserved to cover the salary of the E4D Fellow for three years (level of employment: 100%, incl. social security), CHF 8’200 for material costs and/or travels. Employment after the granted time period must be financed by other sources.
Eligibility criteria for the E4D Doctoral Scholarships :
- High English proficiency level is necessary
- Maximum age: 40 years
- Excellent MSc Degree and high academic performance is necessary
- The general entrance requirements for doctoral studies at the ETH Zurich and at the respective department must be fulfilled.
- Experience in the selected research area is required.
- Preference will be given to citizens of Least Developed Countries and other Low-Income Countries according to the OECD DAC-list classification1 (soft factor).
- The proposal is a new doctoral project, not complementary funding to on-going research.
- The research topic is relevant for improving the livelihoods of underprivileged people.
- The ecological, socio-economic and cultural context is taken into account.
- The expected impact of the research is high for the intended target group.
Application deadline: The deadline for Concept Note Submission is 30 April 2020. While the deadline for submission of full proposals is 31 August 2020.
How to apply for the E4D Doctoral Scholarships:
The application procedure consists of two steps:
First step. The candidate submits a concept note to the E4D program office by e-mail to Ms. Patricia Heuberger (email@example.com). The deadline for submitting concept notes is 30 April 2020. Only concept notes fulfilling all indicated requirements will be taken into consideration and will be evaluated by the ETH4D Committee for Exchanges with regard to their suitability for an E4D Scholarship.
Second step. Candidates whose concept note is accepted by the ETH4D Committee for Exchanges elaborate a full proposal together with the professor who agreed to supervise the project. If the candidate and the professor do not know each other, they must set up a meeting to discuss the full proposal elaboration. This meeting is either a face-to-face meeting or a skype meeting. The deadline for the submission of full proposals is 31 August 2020.
Other useful links: