The Asian Development Bank–Japan Scholarship Program (ADB–JSP) offers postgraduate scholarships for studies in economics, management, science and technology, and other development-related fields at participating academic institutions.
The ADB–JSP enrolls about 140 graduate students annually in academic institutions located in 9 countries within the Asia-Pacific region. Upon completion of their study programs, scholars are expected to contribute to the economic and social development of their home countries.
Course level: Masters
Fields of study: Economics, management, science and technology, other development-related fields
Institution and country: Participating academic institutions in Hong Kong, India, Japan, New Zealand, Pakistan, Philippines, Singapore, Thailand, and the USA
Sponsor: Asian Development Bank and the Government of Japan
- Full tuition fees
- Monthly allowance
- Medical insurance
- Roundtrip travel costs
- Thesis grant (for research programs only)
Eligibility criteria for the Asian Development Bank–Japan Scholarship Program:
- Nationality. Afghanistan; Armenia; Azerbaijan; Bangladesh; Bhutan; Cambodia; Cook Islands; Georgia; India; Indonesia; Fiji; Kazakhstan; Kiribati; Kyrgyz Republic; Lao People’s Democratic Republic; Malaysia; Maldives; Marshall Islands; Federated States of Micronesia; Mongolia; Myanmar; Nauru; Nepal; Niue; Pakistan; Palau; Papua New Guinea; Philippines; Samoa; Solomon Islands; Sri Lanka; Tajikistan; Thailand; Timor-Leste; Tonga; Turkmenistan; Tuvalu; Uzbekistan; Vanuatu; and Viet Nam
- Those who have gained admission to an approved MA course at participating academic institutions
- Should be 35 years old or younger
- In good health
- With a bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- With a superior academic record
- Upon completion of their study programs, scholars are expected to return to their home country to contribute to its economic and social development.
Application deadline: Follows the application deadlines of participating academic institutions
How to apply for the Asian Development Bank–Japan Scholarship Program:
Applicants should request information and application forms from the chosen academic institution(s). They should indicate to the academic institution that they are applying for admission and that they would like to be considered for the ADB–JSP Scholarship. The completed institution application form and required documentation, including the ADB–JSP application sheet form, should be submitted to the academic institution.
Applicants must ensure that they submit accurate and complete documentation. Failure to do so may result in an application not being processed or to an award being terminated if documentation or information provided is later determined to be false. Applicants are required to submit their latest Income Tax Return or certification of their annual salary/monthly salary, whichever is available. They should also submit a certification of family income (parent’s income).
Applications for scholarships should be sent at least six months prior to the planned time that you wish to commence studies.
Other useful links: